All You Need to Know Before You Buy A Sapphire Engagement Ring in 2023
Sapphire engagement rings are having a major moment. With their beauty, durability, and unique styling, it’s no wonder more brides are coveting these colorful gemstones. If you’re considering a sapphire engagement ring for your proposal, here is an in-depth guide on key things to know first.
Why Choose a Sapphire Engagement Ring?
Before deciding on a sapphire, it helps to understand the advantages of choosing this alternative gemstone:
So if you want something eye-catching, durable, ethical, and full of meaning, sapphire checks all the boxes.
Natural vs. Lab-Created Sapphires
One of the first big choices is whether to go with a natural or lab-grown sapphire. Here are the key differences:
- Formed naturally within the earth over billions of years
- Limited supply from mineral deposits and mining
- Retain value extremely well over time
- Offer unmatched rarity and appeal for some buyers
- Produced in controlled lab environments to mimic earth’s conditions
- Have identical physical and chemical properties to natural
- Offer comparable beauty and brilliance at a lower price
- More environmentally friendly option
The choice comes down to your budget and personal preferences. If opting for lab-grown, ensure it is disclosed as such by the seller.
How to Evaluate Sapphire Quality
Focus on these key factors when assessing sapphire quality:
Request an independent gemological report to detail the stone’s specifications. An AGS or GIA lab report confirms quality.
Choosing the Right Sapphire Ring Setting
You want the ring setting to complement the sapphire center stone:
- Elevated setting – Solitaire or halo settings raise the sapphire up to maximize light exposure.
- White metal – Platinum or white gold allow the sapphire’s color to really stand out.
- Accent stones – Small diamonds or gemstones around the center stone add extra sparkle.
- Matching design – A coordinating curved band matches the shape of the center stone.
Take your partner’s style into account too. Vintage-inspired settings suit more traditional tastes while modern minimalist bands appeal to the contemporary.
Average Cost of Sapphire Engagement Rings
Sapphire prices fluctuate based on the:
In general, sapphire rings cost:
While still an investment, sapphires offer more sparkle for the money compared to large diamonds.
Should You Buy Online or In-Store?
This depends on your preferences:
Buy online pros:
- Browse inventory from multiple retailers all in one place
- Often better prices than brick and mortar stores
- Convenient shopping from home
Buy online cons:
- Can’t see stones in person before purchasing
- Virtual display colors are not always accurate
- Returns and exchanges may be more difficult
Buy in-store pros:
- Able to view sapphires and settings in person before deciding
- Immediate on-site customization and resizing
- Establish relationship with a local jeweler
Buy in-store cons:
- Limited to inventory of one retailer
- Potentially higher prices than online
- Inconvenience of going to physical shops
If buying online, stick to reputable retailers with good return policies and buy certified stones. Purchasing in-store allows you to see options up close.
Important Sapphire Engagement Ring Care Tips
- Take ring off before physical activities to avoid damage.
- Avoid exposing ring to harsh chemicals like bleach, acid, etc.
- Store in a fabric-lined ring box when not wearing.
- Have ring professionally cleaned & inspected every 6 months.
- For daily cleaning, use a soft brush and mild soap and water.
Sapphires are durable but still require some basic care. Taking precautions preserves the integrity and extends the lifespan of your ring.
Find Your Dream Sapphire Ring
With their dazzling beauty, vivid hues, and vintage styling, sapphire engagement rings offer one-of-a-kind personality. They make meaningful and distinctive alternatives to traditional diamond rings. Follow this guide to find the ideal sapphire ring within your budget. Let the sapphire gemstone shine bright in your engagement ring, just like your love.
Q: What is a sapphire engagement ring?
A: A sapphire engagement ring is a type of engagement ring that features a sapphire gemstone as the center stone instead of a traditional diamond.
Q: Why should I consider a sapphire engagement ring?
A: There are several reasons why you might consider a sapphire engagement ring. Sapphires are known for their stunning color and durability. They come in a range of beautiful colors, including blue, pink, yellow, and more. Additionally, sapphires are a more affordable option compared to diamonds, allowing you to get a larger, more eye-catching stone within your budget.
Q: What are the different types of sapphire?
A: The most common type of sapphire is the blue sapphire. However, there are also pink sapphires, yellow sapphires, green sapphires, padparadscha sapphires (a rare pink-orange color), and more. Each type of sapphire has its own unique beauty and appeal.
Q: How does a sapphire compare to a diamond engagement ring?
A: Sapphires and diamonds are both popular choices for engagement rings, but they have some key differences. While diamonds are the hardest gemstone, sapphires are also very durable and have a high ranking on the Mohs scale of hardness. Sapphires offer a unique and vibrant color range that diamonds do not have.
Q: What should I know before buying a sapphire engagement ring?
A: Before buying a sapphire engagement ring, it’s important to consider factors such as the color, clarity, cut, and carat weight of the sapphire. You should also look for a reputable jeweler or gemologist who can provide you with a certificate of authenticity for the stone.
Q: Are sapphires a good choice for an engagement ring?
A: Yes, sapphires are a great choice for an engagement ring. They are durable, beautiful, and come in a stunning array of colors. Sapphires have also been a popular choice for many royal engagements, including Princess Diana’s iconic sapphire engagement ring.
Q: Can I pair a sapphire engagement ring with a diamond wedding band?
A: Absolutely! It’s common to pair a sapphire engagement ring with a diamond wedding band. The contrast between the two gemstones can create a stunning and unique look.
Q: Where can I find the best sapphire engagement rings?
A: You can find a wide selection of sapphire engagement rings at reputable jewelry stores, both online and offline. Make sure to choose a jeweler with good reviews and certifications to ensure the quality of the ring.
Q: Are Montana sapphires a good choice for an engagement ring?
A: Yes, Montana sapphires are highly regarded for their beauty and quality. These sapphires are sourced from Montana, USA, and are known for their rich blue color and excellent clarity.
Q: What are the most popular sapphire colors for engagement rings?
A: Blue sapphires are the most popular choice for engagement rings. However, pink sapphires, yellow sapphires, and padparadscha sapphires are also sought after for their unique and vibrant colors.